100% full Not resolved
2.4
Additional Services
Insurance Quality

Charged for insurance that was clearly refused. Hertz rep. did knowingly verbally deceive (e.g. lie) about "free" "Basic Services."

Like most anyone picking a car up from an airport car rental she has insurance, that covers her when drive a rental. Knowing that we would be offered several unwanted, unneeded, and useless services my wife made it very clear verbally that:

1) She did not want to pay for any insurance (as of course she has her own that covers rentals)

2) No extra charges- no extra charges at all.

3) And repeat and repeat again, so that there was no mistaking or leeway for any "upsells".

After all this my wife was asked if she wanted "Basic Coverage" to which she reiterated that she did not want to pay for extra charges. The Hertz rep. assured her that there were no extra charges, and "Basic Coverage" was free. This was a deliberate and very deceitful lie. The "Basic Coverage" cost more daily than the car rental. We ended up paying well over twice what we were quoted. The manager refused to be of any assistance at all. It was obvious that they pulled this scam often. While this may not be admissible when I went to Yelp there were several complaints from customers who were ripped off at this same location. The "accidental" insurance scam was reported by many people.

Hertz listed "Basic Coverage" (what the Hertz rep. called it) as [Loss Dmg Wvr.] What threw my wife off was that the overall charges came to what she was quoted, she had just gotten off a plane, and after waiting in Hertz lines she was late to a doctor's appointment, and instead of standing at the counter and trying to read the small fine print and difficult to understand abbreviated charges she made the mistake of taking the Hertz rep. at her word, and hoped she was not being lied to and ripped off. We now know to never make the mistake again of trusting Hertz or doing business with the company again. While verbal deceit is very difficult to prove it should not go unreported.

Later management refused to help stating that I has requested Loss Dmg Wvr at $30+ a

day, more than the daily cost of the rental. Also the deposit of $280 was outrageous. I have never encountered a charge like that before. The deposit charge was enough to make me never ever want to deal with Hertz again. FYI There are several 1-star

reviews of this Hertz complaining about scams in detail perpetrated on customers. One Gold star member had your Insurance Scam charged on 2 separate occasions. I am making a complaint to the BBB and have shared my experience extensively including posting my bill online. I do not like being lied to. I do not like being overcharged for services I refused and your outrageous deposit charge. I was in a hurry for a doctor's appointment, and made the mistake of trusting one of your representatives. Don't worry

that will not happen again. Also your manager (sorry I do not have his name) with the ridiculously thin peach fuzz mustache was rude, and obviously pulls scams like these on your customers all the time. But hey! Don't take my word for it. Read YELP as many

of your potential customers do before they decide to take their business elsewhere.

JohnSmoak wrote the review because of "lied to and ripped off!!!" at Hertz and attached a photo. Reviewer claimed that he or she lost $80 and wants Hertz to issue a full refund.

The most disappointing in user's experience was being deliberately lied to. The author asks this business to immediately contact him/ her to briefly discuss his/ her negative experience with the company.

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Hertz and hertz car rental for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Had an Experience with Hertz?

Comments

Salem, South Dakota, United States #1107716

I agree, having just gotten back from a trip t o AZ I was also scammed at this location by Hertz the same way. My cost to rent an economy car was $108 per day for 9 days. Never go to Hertz again.