Charged for insurance that was clearly refused. Hertz rep. did knowingly verbally deceive (e.g. lie) about "free" "Basic Services."
Like most anyone picking a car up from an airport car rental she has insurance, that covers her when drive a rental. Knowing that we would be offered several unwanted, unneeded, and useless services my wife made it very clear verbally that:
1) She did not want to pay for any insurance (as of course she has her own that covers rentals)
2) No extra charges- no extra charges at all.
3) And repeat and repeat again, so that there was no mistaking or leeway for any "upsells".
After all this my wife was asked if she wanted "Basic Coverage" to which she reiterated that she did not want to pay for extra charges. The Hertz rep. assured her that there were no extra charges, and "Basic Coverage" was free. This was a deliberate and very deceitful lie. The "Basic Coverage" cost more daily than the car rental. We ended up paying well over twice what we were quoted. The manager refused to be of any assistance at all. It was obvious that they pulled this scam often. While this may not be admissible when I went to Yelp there were several complaints from customers who were ripped off at this same location. The "accidental" insurance scam was reported by many people.
Hertz listed "Basic Coverage" (what the Hertz rep. called it) as [Loss Dmg Wvr.] What threw my wife off was that the overall charges came to what she was quoted, she had just gotten off a plane, and after waiting in Hertz lines she was late to a doctor's appointment, and instead of standing at the counter and trying to read the small fine print and difficult to understand abbreviated charges she made the mistake of taking the Hertz rep. at her word, and hoped she was not being lied to and ripped off. We now know to never make the mistake again of trusting Hertz or doing business with the company again. While verbal deceit is very difficult to prove it should not go unreported.
Later management refused to help stating that I has requested Loss Dmg Wvr at $30+ a
day, more than the daily cost of the rental. Also the deposit of $280 was outrageous. I have never encountered a charge like that before. The deposit charge was enough to make me never ever want to deal with Hertz again. FYI There are several 1-star
reviews of this Hertz complaining about scams in detail perpetrated on customers. One Gold star member had your Insurance Scam charged on 2 separate occasions. I am making a complaint to the BBB and have shared my experience extensively including posting my bill online. I do not like being lied to. I do not like being overcharged for services I refused and your outrageous deposit charge. I was in a hurry for a doctor's appointment, and made the mistake of trusting one of your representatives. Don't worry
that will not happen again. Also your manager (sorry I do not have his name) with the ridiculously thin peach fuzz mustache was rude, and obviously pulls scams like these on your customers all the time. But hey! Don't take my word for it. Read YELP as many
of your potential customers do before they decide to take their business elsewhere.
More Review Details
|Diversity of Products or Services|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Being deliberately lied to
- Reason of review:
- Lied to and ripped off!!!
- Preferred solution:
- Full refund
- Monetary loss:
- Product or service
- Hertz Car Rental Protection
- Review category
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "Please find enclosed details of my recent experience with Europcar in Manchester. I am launching a claim against the company today in the Small Claims Court but I believe there..."
- "This happened to us in Cancun at the airport terminal. When they gave us the car, unfortunately we did not do a thoroughly inspection and when we return it they..."
- "Rented a Peugeot Diesel at Shannon Airport in Ireland August 18, 2013 and signed for 958.88 Euros. Hertz billed my Visa card days later at a Euro rate of $1.39 when..."
- "Over the last three months my head has been left spinning trying to first inquire, then complain and finally to "educate" the people who answer the phone at Express Scripts...."
- "4500 curry ford rd Orlando fl This is the twistee treat located on Curry Ford Road in Orlando Florida.I noticed I was in the low class ghetto Hispanic section of..."
- "Hi I admin an Ashton Drake buy sell and showcase group on Facebook. I have over 12,000 members worldwide. I have seen several people showing their dolls, be they new..."
- "I went to aspen dental was a terrible or deal they do not tell you everything i had an upper plate there I went back to get my plate relined..."
- "In 18 months time they burned up my yard the first year, I suffered the embarrassment of a dirt front yard for the whole summer 2015. They came back in..."
- "Greetings everyone! I am the owner of a marketing agency in Central New Jersey. I've responded to two quote requests on Thumbtack for website design/development services. I've got contacted both..."